Raja Ramanna Centre for Advanced Technology (RRCAT), Indore is a premier unit of the Department of Atomic Energy, Government of India, engaged in R&D activities in the front line research areas of accelerator science, laser science, related technologies and applications.
The research and development activities at RRCAT include:
Operation of Indus-1 and Indus-2 accelerators and synchrotron radiation facilities comprising of six beamlines on Indus-1 and thirteen beamlines on Indus-2. These are used for experimental studies in physics, chemistry, biology, material science, spectroscopy, micro-lithography, protein crystallography, industrial and medical applications, x- ray diffraction etc.
Pursuit of several other key accelerator activities viz., development of a high energy proton accelerator for a Spallation Neutron Source, electron accelerators for food irradiation and industrial applications, free electron lasers in terahertz and infrared spectral regions, superconducting and magnetic materials required for accelerators, advanced technologies such as superconducting radio frequency cavities and cryo-modules, high power radio frequency and microwave systems, cryogenics, magnets, precision power supplies, ultra-high vacuum systems, precision fabrication and control instrumentation etc.
Development of various lasers like Nd:YAG and Nd:glass solid state lasers, fibre lasers, copper-vapour lasers, excimer lasers, high-power CO2 lasers, semiconductor lasers, dye lasers, x-ray lasers etc. Development and applications of lasers for material processing, micro-machining, medical diagnostics, and industrial applications including cutting and welding of reactor components.
Experimental research programmes in materials research, ultra-fast spectroscopy, laser cooling of atoms, laser-plasma interaction, and development of laser materials (ceramics and crystals).
Research on nonlinear and quantum optics, nonlinear dynamics in accelerators, materials science, laser biomedical applications, studies on light propagation in turbid media and its applications in biomedicine.
As a part of Public Outreach Programme of RRCAT, the Centre conducts a certificate course titled "Orientation Course on Accelerators, Lasers and Related Science and Technologies (OCAL)". The First Orientation Course, OCAL-2015, was successfully held at RRCAT, Indore during the period May-July 2015.
The details of the Second Orientation Course (OCAL-2016) are as follows:
The Second Orientation Course, OCAL-2016, will be held at RRCAT, Indore during the period: May 23, 2016 to July 15, 2016.
The Orientation Course is structured to impart the students a sound conceptual knowledge as well as experimental training in the front-line research areas in accelerators, lasers, and related technologies. The course will consist of classroom lectures, visits to various RRCAT laboratories, practical training in the form of hands-on experiments, and talks by eminent scientists and technocrats.
Towards the end of the course, the students will be examined for the grasp of course content and their performance in the hands-on experiments. Certificates will be awarded to all students who complete the course and perform satisfactorily in the examinations.
The course is open to students who would be completing the penultimate year of the following postgraduate degrees by May-June 2016
Selection criteria: The students will be selected for OCAL-2016 based on a short essay on "Societal Applications of Accelerators and Lasers" and their "academic record". The students should have secured minimum 60% marks in the bachelor’s degrees and/or in completed semesters. The length of the essay should be 800-1000 words. The students should upload the essay along with the on-line application certifying that it is written in original by him/ her.
- M.E./ M.Tech. (Electronics, Electronics and Instrumentation, Electronics and Communications, Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, Information Technology, Instrumentation Engineering, Nanotechnology, Engineering Physics, Mechanical Engineering, Materials Science, Metallurgical Engineering, Laser and related areas, Applied optics, Opto-electronics, Opto-electronics and optical communication) or
- M.Sc. (Physics) or
- Integrated M.Sc. (Physics) / M.S. (Physics) and integrated M.E. /M.Tech. course of above mentioned branches.
Only Indian nationals are eligible to apply for this orientation course.
Support to the students :
The students selected for the Orientation Course will be provided free lodging and boarding at RRCAT Guest House Complex and will be given an additional stipend at the rate of Rs. 1500 (rupees one thousand and five hundred) per month. The students completing the course will be eligible for the financial support based on their attendance and performance. To and fro II class (sleeper) train fare by the shortest route, from the place of their present institute of study / residence, to Indore, will be reimbursed on production of tickets.
How to Apply:
Only On-line Applications shall be accepted. Apply Online
In case of any difficulty during the on-line application procedure, please write to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Fill the Application Form and upload your latest passport size photo in JPG format along with other required documents in PDF format (marksheets of UG and completed semesters of PG courses, essay, recommendation letter, document regarding CPI/CGPA conversion to equivalent percentage-if applicable, certificate regarding awaited result-if applicable)
- Take printout of the completed form and sign it.
- Upload the scanned copy of completed signed application form in PDF format.
Please preserve the originals of the following documents with you for any future verification:
Applicants may kindly note the following:
- Signed application form (scanned copy of which has been uploaded)
- Letter of Recommendation (scanned copy of which has been uploaded)
- No paper copy of the application is required to be posted.
- Application complete in all respect will only be considered. Any missing information/document may render the application rejected.
- It is mandatory to upload the scanned copy of signed application form.
- All uploaded scanned documents should be easily readable.
|Last Date for applying on-line
|21st March 2016
4th April 2016
8th April 2016
Names of the selected students will be announced on RRCAT website.
Note: The students desirous of undergoing 6 to 12 months project training as partial fulfillment of their degree, apart from the above mentioned course, are suggested to visit the website: http://www.rrcat.gov.in/hrd/advt/project.html